Justification: Redemption Applied
By Matt Perman*What is Justification? by MP: This is a short article explaining the central elements of justification -- the doctrine which Calvin called "the main hinge on which all regligion turns" because without knowing God's judgment concerning ourselves we have no foundation on which to build a relationship with Him.
*Justification by Faith Alone by MP: Whereas the previous article sought to simply state the two main aspects of justification, this article is more in depth and also examines the biblical basis of the doctrine.
*Understanding the Gospel: Justification by MP: This is a shorter form of the above article which also, unlike the above article, comments on with James 2:24.
*The Pleasure of God in Justifying the Wicked by MP: God does not justify believers out of duty, but out of delight! This article explains why from Romans 5:16-19--and in so doing shows that the perfect obedience of Christ is the ground of our justification and the implications this has.
*Is Obeying God the Same as Trusting God? Justification by Faith Alone in Romans 4:1-6 by MP: Sometimes well-meaning Christians can come close to implying that faith and obedience(i.e., love for your neighbor) are at root the same thing. This article exhorts us to be careful to avoid this thinking by arguing that Paul did indeed conceive of faith and obedience as different because he taught that we are justified by faith and not obedience.
*Paul's Theology of Faith and the Law/Gospel Contrast by MP: In order to understand justification by faith alone with the clarity that we need, we must understand the underlying contrast between law and gospel. By demonstrating the nature of this distinction in Galatians 3:9-12, this article seeks to counter the idea that faith and obedience are fundamentally the same thing.
*What Does it Take to be Saved? by MP: This is a short look at the nature of faith according to John 3:14-15.
*Concerns with Dan Fuller's Theology of Justification by MP and JT.
*Are Future Grace and Covenant Theology at Odds? by MP: Some have argued that John Piper's teaching on faith in his book Future Grace is contrary to historic Protestant theology. This article seeks to show that, on the contrary, Piper is in line with historic Protestantism because he is in line with its most nuanced form--covenant theology.
*What is God Declaring at the Final Judgment? by MP: How do justification and final judgment relate? This article explores that issue. Just as there are dangers in too closely identifying faith and obedience, there are also dangers in too closely identifying justification and the final judgment.
*The Meaning of Nomos (Law) in Galatians 3:11-12 by MP: This is a word study to discover what Paul means when he says that "no one is justified by law." My findings, which are part of the basis for many of the above articles, are that the law he is speaking of is the law of God which calls for us to love our neighbor as ourselves.
*The Doctrine of Justification by Faith, Through the Imputation of the Righteousness of Christ; Explained, Confirmed, and Vindicated by John Owen. This is an extremely in-depth and solid Scriptural defense of the all important doctrine of justification by faith alone. Owen wrote this hundreds of years ago, but his arguments are just as relevant and powerful today.
*Adopted by God: The Pinnacle of God's Grace by Dustin Shramek. In justification adoption is conferred upon us--we are made children of God (legally, not inwardly). This is a study on the joy of having God as one's Father.
14 Articles on Justification
- Theological FAQs
- Doctrines of Grace – Scripture List
- Dispensationalism - Scripture List
- Our Ongoing Need of Redemption as Christians
- Man's Utter Inability to Rescue Himself
- A Divine and Supernatural Light...
- What Happens in the New Birth, Part 1
- What Happens in the New Birth, Part 2
- Introduction to The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
- God's Part & Man's Part in Salvation
- Human Inability
- To Cut off the Sinner from All Hope in Himself
- Effectual Calling
- Man's Will - Free Yet Bound
- Canons 4-8
- The Necessity of Divine Influences Part I
- The Necessity of Divine Influences Part II
- The Unregenerate Will: Self-Determined But Not Free
- Is the Will Free by Nature or by Grace?
- The Wind Blows Where It Wishes
- The Cambridge Declaration
- A Reminder to the Covenant God
- Reversing the Curse
- A Simple Explanation of Monergism
- The Work of the Trinity in Monergism
- Human Nature in Its Fourfold State
- The Pelagian Captivity of the Church
- Excerpt from Spurgeon's Sermon: Free Will - A Slave
- Regeneration Precedes Faith
- Regeneration Necessary to Perceive the Beauty and Excellency of Divine Things
- Should Predestination Be Publicly Taught & Preached?
- The Plan of Salvation
- Grace Alone: An Evangelical Problem?
- The New Genesis
- Evangelicalism, False and True
- Salvation: Synergism or Sola Gratia?
- The Leaven of Synergism
- Two Views of Regeneration
- A Practical Discourse on God's Sovereignty
- Simul Iustus et Peccator
- The Law Honored In The Sinners Salvation
- The Will of God
- Are There Two Wills in God?
- Two Wills in God
- Of Justification by Faith
- Of Christian Liberty
- Justification: Contrasting Biblical Teaching and Roman Catholicism
- The Pharisee & The Publican
- Commentary on Galatians
- The Necessity of the Atonement
- Imputed Righteousness: The Evangelical Doctrine
- Justification by Faith Examination of the Doctrine of Salvation
- What God Requires, Christ Provides
- Justification: Redemption Applied
- Justification and Sanctification: How Do They Differ?
- Can a Christian Lose His or Her Salvation?
- Perseverance - God Keeps His People Safe
- The Covenant of Grace: A Key to Understanding the Bible
- Classical Covenant Theology On Justification
- Classical Covenant Theology On Law and Gospel
- Classical Covenant Theology On the Covenant of Redemption
- Classical Covenant Theology Covenant of Works
- Classical Covenant Theology On the Covenant of Grace
- Administration of the Covenant of Grace
- What is Covenant Theology?
- Series on Covenant Theology
- The Difference Between The Law & The Gospel
- Adam's Fall and Mine
- Calvin's Institutes
- The Nature of the Atonement Why and for Whom Did Christ Die?
- The Divine Intention of the Cross
- There May be More Than One Way to God
- The Way of Faith
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Puritan Prayers Taken from The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions
- The Lord's Prayer, Its Spirit and Its Teaching
- More on Prayer and Devotion
- 21 Questions on The Doctrine of Scripture
- Surprised by What? A Defense of Sola Scriptura